Author Topic: Eagle while fishing  (Read 298 times)

fishNhunt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Eagle while fishing
« on: January 17, 2021, 03:07:47 PM »
This eagle never moved even when we got close.  We were fishing at Cherokee Village a couple of weeks ago and my wife took this picture.

Sam

• View Profile
Re: Eagle while fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 02:57:44 PM »
My neighbor has a 16 acre pond just over the fence from my house. We have a 4 acre, a 5 acre and 1 acre ponds that are all within 1/4 mile of the house . There is usually one and sometimes several eagles hanging around the ponds. Pretty cool to see one up really high, just fold up, drop and hit the water. They usually come up with a fish. Seems like they get more channel cat than anything else.

Jhenry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 05:49:01 PM »
Maybe that's where my catfish went
Thank you Lord for all our many blessings

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 07:35:26 PM »
Seems like  on cold, but sunny, days they get the most. I guess the channel cats like to the sun on those cold days. I've watched them catch several 2 to 6 pond catfish on days like that.

ozark46

• Get Outdoors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 10:30:54 PM »
We've got big Hawks near us.  Seems like every time I grab the camera they fly off. Need to get them to take lessons from your eagles.
Ozark

duckman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 02:13:08 PM »
Taste like chicken??

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 06:32:08 PM »
For the last 10 years we've had an immature bald eagle hang around here. Almost anytime I step outside it will be within sight of the house. There is a main transmission power line about 200 yards behind my house that I can see about 2 miles of and it's 80 ft poles are a favorite perch. At first I thought they were big hawks, but after getting closer and using binoculars it was plain to see they were eagles, just minus the white trimmings. About once every 6 weeks or so a big white headed eagle will come by for a few days and when they do the immature ones will disappear until the old one leaves. After a couple of years their heads and tail starts turning white and they usually leave. When ever one starts maturing and turning white another young one will usually show up and take their place. The cycle had been going on pretty regular. Greers Ferry is about 10 miles to the north and the Arkansas River is about 20 miles south. I think some of the ones that hang around here are stopping off on their wanderings between Greers and the River. They're pretty interesting to watch.

Namvet

• one shot=one kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 07:29:20 AM »
My neighbor has a 16 acre pond just over the fence from my house. We have a 4 acre, a 5 acre and 1 acre ponds that are all within 1/4 mile of the house . There is usually one and sometimes several eagles hanging around the ponds. Pretty cool to see one up really high, just fold up, drop and hit the water. They usually come up with a fish. Seems like they get more channel cat than anything else.
Bald eagles dont hit water, only their Talons...the Osprey is the one who hits the water and can still lift off...an eagle ever hits water he will swim to the bank and climb out the fly away...learned this long time ago.
John D. Stiles