Author Topic: Surgery  (Read 457 times)

Sam

• View Profile
Surgery
« on: December 29, 2020, 09:13:06 PM »
Looks like I'll be going under knife a week from tomorrow. My right thumb and wrist has been giving me fits for the last 3 or 4 months, but about a week ago it went from bothering me to not being able to hardly use it. Let me tell you, for a very right handed guy, try'n to wipe your butt with your left hand is damn near impossible. Don't believe it, try next time.
Anyway went to my orthopedic surgeon (second cousin on Dad's side of the family) yesterday and if it wasn't hurting bad enough already, it was after he poked, prodded and twisted my hand around checking it out. He allowed he could fix me right up. He fixed my left hand middle finger and thumb about a year ago. He got me in his first open spot, January 6th at 6:30am. He was booked up and asked if I wanted added on to the first of the day or on the end. I told him I'd go first. I asked him about how long after surgery until I could resume using my right hand  for bathroom duty. He allowed that was a very common question and his best advice was to set a saw horse in the bathroom with a piece of old carpet  draped over it, so that when you get off the toilet you just straddle the saw horse and slid down it, instead of wiping.  I told him I was impressed by the things they taught them in doctor's school. 

Jhenry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 02:28:08 PM »
If you try the saw horse gig your wife is going to be pissed ,,  prayers for a speedy recovery
Thank you Lord for all our many blessings

sparkie444

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 05:16:49 AM »
Now Sam that is funny about the med. school. Best wishes.

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 12:27:05 PM »
Surgery over and back home. Said he fixed 3 things. Tendon that was catching in my thumb , carpel deal and  the biggest and what was hurting the worse, tendons in my wrist. Sore, still a little punchy. Left hands are useless.

WoreOutTrapper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 08:24:42 PM »
Best wishes for a fast recovery. I think I'm starting to get a little carpel trouble. My dad and older brother both had surgery for it so I figure my time is coming.

I'm right handed but always use my left for the dirty business. Just thought I'd put that out there in case anyone ever wanted to hake my hand.

Jhenry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 08:39:26 AM »
Glad you got it over with in a couple weeks you will be fine

fishNhunt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 04:39:37 PM »
Glad it went well. I had wrist surgery a few years ago and it hurt for a while but is as good as new now.  Hope you have a speedy recovery.  Don't overdo it and do what they tell you in physical therapy.

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 06:25:05 PM »
Go in Monday to get the splint and wrappings off. The hand and wrist are better, but still sore. On the plus side, I'm get'n better with the left hand.

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 03:12:42 PM »
Splint off, stitches out of the three places. Better than before, but the thumb is still numb and twisting the wrist is a big no no. Doctor said it'll slowly get the feeling back in the thumb and range of motion back in the wrist over the next month or so. Nice to be able to wash it, still going to have to be left handed for a while.

Jhenry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 05:50:06 PM »
Looks like they tried cut it off

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 01:56:54 PM »
Strange deal has come up. Last Monday I went and got the stiches out. The night before, my cousin and orthopedic surgeon who worked on me had a seizure and was med flighted to Little Rock. They did surgery on him this morning to remove a tumor from his brain. The think they got it all and waiting on a biopsy. Scary stuff, he's in his early 40's and has 7 kids. 6 girls and a boy from 16 to 1. Besides being one of the best orthopedic surgeons around, he's a just a great guy. He's a year older than my daughter and I've known him his whole life and his family all my life. Please send up a prayer for him.

ozark46

• Get Outdoors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 02:16:14 PM »
Wow! I always find it amazing to hear stories like that where people are performing intricate surgeries one day and finding big tumors the next day.  Those things go unnoticed for so long and then are at the critical stage.  I wish there was a way to find them earlier.   

Prayers up for him!
Ozark