Author Topic: The Outdoors  (Read 181 times)

ozark46

• Get Outdoors!
    • View Profile
The Outdoors
« on: January 22, 2021, 02:10:11 PM »
For as long as I can remember, I've loved the outdoors.  Hiking, trails, ATVS, the beach, camping, mountain biking, sight seeing, repelling, stargazing, animal watching, hunting and more recently, fishing.  You name it, if it's outside I probably enjoy it. 

There's something about connecting with undisturbed creation that seems to bring me closer to my Creator.  Free from wires, free from the noise of tv and the internet, it's just me and that still small voice out there.  Oh, and the sometimes not so small voices of the wife and kids ;)

More than hunting, more than the thrill of the chase, I just like being outdoors. If I had to go the rest of my life without hunting I'd be ok, but if I had to give up being outdoors, I wouldn't. 

Both of my grandfathers are the main reason I love the outdoors.  They lived 2000 miles apart yet both of them gave me thier passion for the woods, waters, and mountains.   Whether it was my Gramps in California that worked for the forest service, loved to elk hunt, and took me salmon fishing in the Pacific. Or my PawPaw in Arkansas that taught me how to shoot, enjoy the woods and let me spend the night in his hunting cabin to see the deer in the morning.  Both of these men didn't consider the outdoors an internal joy to be locked up, but an experience to be shared and taught. 

Both men have left this world, but thier memory, wisdom, and love lives on in me.  I want my children to experience that with thier grandfathers too.  Whether it's my father-in-law or my dad, both of whom are outdoorsmen themselves, I'm making it a point to ensure my kids get the same opportunity to feel that connection with their Creator & their grandfathers. 

If you're a father, uncle, or grandfather don't ever discount the impact you have on a little one's life.  The wisdom and love my grandfathers both gave me when I was 5-15 years old have been permanently etched into my soul.

For your viewing pleasure I'll leave this picture of War Eagle Creek I took while out with the oldest. 

I'd love to hear from you.  Who introduced you to the outdoors?

Ozark

Jhenry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Outdoors
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 02:13:14 PM »
I love reading your post but I'm no writer so it take me a bit to pen that one
Thank you Lord for all our many blessings

Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 03:52:50 PM »
My Dad's stepdad, but he was my Paw Paw, lived 1/4 mile from me my first 24 years of my life, until he died in 1978. He taught me to shoot, hunt, course a bee tree, fish, farm and so much more. My Dad taught me a lot, but he was busy making a living while I was growing up, but Paw Paw was retired and had unlimited time, and more important unlimited patience, for a kid. Before I was old enough to go to school I'd walk over to his house everyday, after I was old enough to be sentenced to school  I would get off the school bus at Paw Paw's every afternoon. When I'd walk in the door he'd have the domino board set up, the Three Stooges on TV and 2 big Pepsi Colas setting there waiting on me. I will be forever grateful to have had the childhood and raising that I had. There were very few days from the time I can remember that I didn't have either a fishing pole, a gun or both, in my hands. I was raised in my Dad's feed store and in a very rural area and had lot's of very good folks to look up to my whole life. I hate that my grandsons can't roam the hills, hollers, creeks and ponds with the freedom that I did.

TradArcher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 07:06:43 PM »
My family does not have a history with hunting and the outdoors. Neither of my grandfathers have ever been hunting to my knowledge, and my dad had never been hunting until we moved out in the country in Kansas when I was 10 and my dad had a friend who took him and my two oldest brothers hunting a few times. I learned to love fishing when we lived there. Then we moved to Arkansas and I killed a few squirrels with our .22 in my teens. My oldest brother took me deer hunting once when I was about 15, and my dad and my other brothers and I went deer hunting once when I was 16 with my oldest rifle and one we borrowed from a friend. It wasn?t until I bought my first deer rifle at the age of 17 that I really started getting into hunting more and more, and now I love hunting, fishing, trapping, and anything outdoors. I?ve had to teach myself most of what I know about hunting through YouTube and magazines. I hope to pass this on to my kids one day if and when the Lord blesses me with some.
If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be nation gone under ~ Ronald Reagan

ozark46

• Get Outdoors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 08:12:23 PM »
I would get off the school bus at Paw Paw's every afternoon. When I'd walk in the door he'd have the domino board set up, the Three Stooges on TV and 2 big Pepsi Colas setting there waiting on me.

I love this!  Reminds me of my great granny.  We'd play dominoes every time I saw her.   And even at 90 she could whip me!
Ozark